Friday, September 16, 2011

Shout out - Martin County (FL) Genealogical Society

I just wanted to let everyone know about the Martin County (FL) Genealogical Society. I recently was in need of a few obituaries for relatives that lived in Stuart, Martin County, Florida. Neither GenealogyBank nor NewspaperArchive returned any hits. I then posted one request on the Martin County, Florida Ancestry message board. A very kind gentleman from the Martin County Genealogical Society responded. He was able to find the one obituary I wanted, and also one more that I requested after reading the first one.

In his response he gently asked for "say, a $5.00" donation. It was not required, but I was glad to send the society a donation.

This made me realize that this is a way for local genealogical societies to make themselves known, and to possibly obtain a small donation. I just wish that all local societies would monitor the message boards. I know that not all have the resources - maybe don't have obituary indexes, etc., but if they do, it would be good for them to respond to these messages.

Has anyone else had a member of a genealogicial society respond to a message board request?

No comments:

Post a Comment