Friday, July 15, 2011

Weekly Roundup 15 Jul 2011

I received an email from a paternal cousin who asked me to look into another cousin of ours named Marilyn. She stated that she and her husband had been talking about this cousin, and was hoping to see if she was still with us as she was wanting to contact her. This gave me the opportunity to visit this family again as it had been awhile since I last worked on them. I found that the husband of our cousin Marilyn had passed away in 2002 at the age of 67 years. His obituary lists his occupation as Master Carpenter; however, I was told that he also worked as a bus driver in his later years. Next I verified that our cousin is still alive and is living in Grove City, Franklin, Ohio. Marilyn is one of at least 3 children of my father's brother, Leslie Andrew "Andy" Porter, who passed away in 1944 at the age of 36.

I received the mapping software, AniMap. I have not had a chance yet to work with it.

I received the obituaries that I had requested from the Wood County (OH) Genealogical Society. They were for the following: Mrs. V. R. [Jennie Minor] Porter (2), John Porter, J. W. Porter, David Porter, Miss Porter (daughter of Calvin Porter), Mrs. Francis Porter, Mrs. J. H. Porter, Mrs. Kirby [Laura Porter] Shuman (2), Calvin Porter, Mrs. [William] Rose Porter, and four year old son of James Porter. This is the Truman Porter family that I'm hoping to find a link to my William Porter family. Unfortunately, none of these obits helped me do that.

Participated in the Legacy Family Tree Webinar "The Power of DNA in Unlocking Family Relationships" by Dr. Ugo A. Perego. At first I wasn't sure if this was going to contain new information, but was pleasantly surprised at all the new things I did learn. Definitely glad that I didn't miss this one. During this Webinar, Geoff Rasmussen announced that with the latest version of Legacy Family Tree you can enter additional DNA information into the database. I think the current version accepts Y-DNA only from a handful of vendors. I think the current version also does not allow you to enter the results from GeneTree, but the new version does. Dr. Perego is associated with GeneTree, and parts of the Webinar appeared to be a major commercial for their products. However, it was acceptable due to all the new information I learned.

I scanned a few more documents and photos. So many more to do! Also worked on a new backup system using Windows 7 Libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment