Friday, April 22, 2011

Weekly Roundup 22 Apr 2011

I finished browsing the microfilmed newspapers that I had borrowed from the Ohio Historical Society via Interlibrary Loan. The only thing I found was a date of death for a 2-year-old, Daisy Pinkley.

I again listened to Geneablogger Radio. The topic was Family History and the Civil War. Though it was again a very good show, I didn't make it to the very end as the show is between 10pm and midnight for me. Sleep does sometime win out.

I hired a Knox County researcher to do some of the research that I cannot do at this time. He has already been able to give me very good results. I'm waiting until I have the actual paperwork before I post a blog on his findings.

I continued to look for other children of my 2nd Great Grandfather, William Porter. Since it has been written that he originally stopped in Coshocton County before settling in Knox County, I looked for any Porters who were born in New York during a time frame of 1820-1836. I did find one man, Lorenzo Porter, who looks promising. In 1850 he is living in New Castle Township, Coshocton, Ohio with a David Sharpless family. He is 21 years old so that makes him born about 1829.

I finally found a reference in legal documents to my Great Grandmother's maiden name. It's the one that I've heard growing up - Hontoon. I blogged about it in an earlier post titled Surname Saturday - HONTOON.

It's been a good week. I'm hoping this continues until I find my 2nd Great Grandfather's parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment