Friday, April 8, 2011

Ancestry's Civil War Daze

In remembrance of the 150th year anniversary of the start of the Civil War, Ancestry.Com has released millions of Civil War records. Many are linked to images at Footnote.Com. Many of these images are available for free between April 7 to April 14 2011.

There is a lot of new stuff available. However, I'm finding it hard to find anything pertinent to my research. I did find in the new database U.S., Civil War Draft Registrations Records, 1863-1865 the paper on which my half great greatuncle's name is listed. Others I'm researching that I know participated in the Civil War I am not finding. I have several Compiled Service Records but cannot find these in the U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 database. Matter of fact I cannot find any person who served in an Ohio unit. So maybe these records are not complete, but where does it state that?

I will continue to explore these new databases, but so far I'm not impressed.

1 comment:

  1. I signed up for footnote and was very disappointed that Ohio was not included. (I have six ancestors who served in the Civil War from Ohio). When I complained, they acknowledged that they do not have the Ohio records and refunded my subscription.

    ReplyDelete